In the past few years there has been an increase in the number of Australians heading to Asia to get cheap dental work.
All it takes is to type a few key words into Google and Wow! – so many exotic locations where you can receive ‘safe, clean and cheap dental implants’. These websites claim that at their Thai or Phillipino Hopsital you’ll receive ‘world-class’ care at 60% savings.
With some packages for dental implants you can even have a holiday, accomodation and a trip around some beaches. Too good to be true, right?
Unfortunately, the answer is often yes.
Whilst in some overseas locations there is the possibility of good treatment, when treatment becomes complicated huge problems can develop. Unfortunately when Australians seek care overseas, they may end up with bigger problems from their cheap dental implants, and a bigger bill to boot. All too often patients return home sore and sorry, and have to pay lots more to fix the problem that has been created.
Before you make your decision:
If you do want to get cheap dental implants overseas, read the following information guide first.
- Lots of overseas based dental practitioners who offer cheap treatments are able to do so because they are not under the regulation of Australian dental bodies. These regulations and rules protect the safety of patients in Australia.
- Australia has one of the highest levels of infection control in the world. This means that we take for granted our protection against infection when we are treated on. Unfortunately if we head overseas for treatment these regulations are often far more lax and the standard lower. Dental implants require strict infection control because surgery is often involved.
- Recently a new super-bug NDM-1 has been reported on Australian shores. This bug is extremely resistant to antibiotics. Medical experts have blamed the introduction of this bug to Australia on the increase in citizens travelling overseas for cheap dental procedures. The super-bug is alleged to originate in Asia, specifically in india, but instances of infection have also occured in Pakistan and Japan.
- Communication issues may become a concern if you go ahead with treatment overseas. Whilst these may seem unimportant, in the case of an emergency or complication they can cause serious problems.
- In order to correctly fit dental implants the medical practitioner needs an extended period of time. This is to make sure that each step of the procedure has worked and settled correcrtly before the next stage is begun. This means that dental implants cannot possibly be fit into a week -long overseas holiday, without undermining the possible success of the proceedure. If implants are rushed their base may not be settled, causing complications.
- In Australia you will be able to seek alternative and immediate treatment if something goes wrong. You’ll also have easy and regulated access to your dentist so that any issues can be resolved. You can be certain that in Australia your rights are protected. Travel insurance rarely covers the potential medical and financial fall out from dental implants obtained overseas.
Please choose your dentist carefully when obtaining any kind of dental procedure. In the case of dental implants surgery is often involved, so extra care is advised. Cheap dental implants overseas could damage your health and your wallet.